Monday, February 29, 2016

Missing Catherine

Catherine Swanson was a truly special friend: one of those rare sisters-in-the-spirit that occasionally come into our lives.  We met at a church newcomers meeting, attended Bible study classes together, and generally shared lives and coffee and conversations as women friends tend to do.

She also loved our puppy, Nemo, and used to babysit him for us when we took family vacations.  She was his favorite person in the world -- I suspect he loved her even more than me -- so when she left for California to go work for All Saints Episcopal Church in Pasadena, I sent her this photo as a card, and titled it "Missing Catherine."

It seems, therefore, appropriate, to post it here today: I just got a call from her sister to say that Catherine, who truly is one of the most fit and athletic women I know, died suddenly yesterday after a stroke.  There's so much I could say, but mostly all I want to say is in this photo.  Definitely one of those times when a picture is worth a thousand words.  Dearest Catherine, you'll never know how much we miss you...

No comments: