Thursday, March 13, 2014

Lessons from Molly

This is Molly Stark, the courageous woman who married Revolutionary General John Stark and nursed his troops through a smallpox epidemic.  Her stance, holding the rifle and the baby, perfectly epitomizes the stance I should be taking tonight in my performance as Mother Jones, union organizer.

 But I'm sick.  The timing couldn't really be worse, to come down with a cold on the opening night of a play.  I'm determined to play through, but I have to wonder: why me? why now? And isn't that what all of us wonder, whenever adversity -- however large or small -- hits?

I hope I learn what I'm meant to learn.  I just wish I knew what it was I was supposed to learn.  Is it that I'm strong enough to overcome any obstacle?  Or is it that I need to "put the mask over my own face first?"  Only time will tell...

No comments: