Sunday, June 30, 2013

A break from routine

Centering prayer -- as taught by Thomas Keating and Cynthia Bourgeault -- is my preferred form of meditation.  But lately it's been a bit of a struggle to stay focused and present for that.  So this morning -- having watched a rather flippant special on Buddhism on PBS last night -- I decided to just focus on my breath. 

What a relief!  I had no trouble staying the time, and though my mind wandered (there's a lot going on right now) it was somehow easier to bring it back -- which is not to say breath meditation is better, or I should switch.  It's only to say we need to stay flexible; to remember that (as my dad used to say) "there's more than one way to skin a cat."

Which is why, despite all the challenges and preparations that face me here, I elected to go up to the islands earlier this week, to take a break and carry myself away from routine for a day and just... breathe. And though I missed my intended boat (three huge dump trucks took up all our allotted spaces) and spent four hours just sitting in line at the ferry terminal, it was still a break from routine.  And though the ride on the ferry at the end of the day didn't offer a spectacular sunset, it still felt heavenly to be carried into that dying light.

No comments: