Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Chasing away the scent of failure

After learning yesterday that I didn't get the job I wanted, I attempted to paint out my disappointment with really ugly colors (it's okay; I'll paint over it later). When that and a long meditation still hadn't taken the edge off,  I went outside to breathe in some healing salt air and ended up burying my nose in the lilac bush by the front door.  Yum.  It's amazing how generous nature is with her healing powers.  This didn't make it all better, really, but it made the disappointment easier to bear.  And it helped that the camera seemed to love the lilacs; this is a totally unretouched photo and I think the scent of the flowers almost leaps off the page.  Something else to feel good about; a pleasing photograph.

The day ended on a better note: I met our new next-door neighbor, who seems delightful.  Sophie-the-cat seems to have completely recovered from her respiratory distress.  And we had a delightful neighborhood meeting with the local wildlife rescue folks, who taught us how to scare away the coyotes that have been bugging us lately; great fun and much laughter.

Bad news can be hard to process; the world can look pretty dark.  So I'm grateful -- for flowers, and salt air; for scent, color and sunny days; for progress, and neighbors, and laughter... It's all good.  Blessings everywhere.

No comments: