Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Done with all unnecessary things

This is one of my favorite pictures of my father-in-law, who passed away after a brief illness this morning.  My heart goes out to my husband and his siblings, who were able to spend a truly joy-filled day with him yesterday before he took his sudden turn for the worse.

For all who grieve, I offer this, the closing to Mary Oliver's poem, "Coming to God: First Days" --

Lord, I will learn also to kneel down
into the world of the invisible,
  the inscrutable and the everlasting.
Then I will move no more
  than the leaves of a tree
  on a day of no wind,
bathed in light,
like the wanderer who has come home at last
and kneels in peace,
  done with all unnecessary things;
every motion; even words.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

My deepest sympathies, Diane.

How lovely that joy-filled day must have been for your husband and family. May they treasure it always.