Friday, March 22, 2013

The roots of guilt

I've been feeling a little guilty about thinking my paintings could have worth even though I've begun so late in life.  But this morning I read in a book on abstract paintings that there are four types of painting skills: technical skill (knowledge of materials and techniques), painterly skill (understanding of perspective, shading, color theory etc.), artistic skill (having a feeling for color, shape, composition etc.) and skill of expression, which is the ability to give expression to your own ideas and feelings... This has helped me to understand that, as a professional photographer who has taken lots of art courses over the years, I'm not all that new to this; it's mostly the technical skill that still needs work.

But that guilty feeling doesn't necessarily submit to rationality.  I mean, I feel a little guilty airing this photo, as well -- because the zebra in the picture is stuffed, not live.  So what drives guilt?  For me it seems to be deeply entangled with a fear of lying.  But is it a lie to publish a photo of a dead zebra? Is it a lie to assign monetary value to a painting when I've only just begun to paint?  I suspect the root of much unnecessary guilt has less to do with lying and more to do with a feeling of unworthiness:  I don't deserve appreciation because I didn't work hard enough to earn it.

... which translates perfectly into the arena of spirituality, or at least, into Christian spirituality.  No matter how much I tell myself God loves all created beings, that old protestant faith vs. works thing kicks in, the whole original sin thing, the whole (to quote the Anglican Prayerbook) "we are not worthy to so as much gather up the crumbs under thy table" thing.  I may be moving beyond that understanding at an intellectual level.  But the heart still has a long way to go... 

4 comments:

Maureen said...

". . . the natural growth of your inner life will eventually guide you to other insights.
"Allow your judgments their own silent, undistrubed development. . . .
". . . this alone is what it means to live as an artist: in understanding as in creating." ~ Rilke, "Letters to a Young Poet", Letter 3

Cheryl said...

"I don't deserve appreciation because I didn't work hard enough to earn it."

You know you do this to yourself right? At some point in your life, you have to give yourself permission to be appreciated just for who you are.

I too grew up with that mantra in my head and for years and years I felt less than when I compared myself to others. I have always been a loner, quiet, introspective, self entertaining, perfectly happy with my own company most of the time. But because I grew up as a loner, quiet and introspective, I didnt exactly learn how to socialize with others, I dont pick up cues well, nor am I any good at small talk. I feel like the third wheel in many group settings...still to this day. I dont have the gift of communication, I envied those that could just walk up and develop a conversation with others, I wanted so much to feel like I was a part of something...but I always felt like the last one picked for the reindeer games.

It wasnt until someone pointed out that I seemed to have all the characteristics of a highly sensitive personality that I began to understand. All those things that were constantly setting me apart from those around me, like a high sensitivity to lights, odors, noise, being told I was too intense or too sensitive and on and on. What a revelation to realize that there is nothing “wrong” with me, and all my thinking. It’s just the way I am built. And the cool thing to me was realizing that others around me also envied me the ability to take the photos that I took, or write the poetry or being able to see when folks needed help. I had no idea that I possessed the traits that other envied as I had been held up to be different from everyone else all my life and always tried to hide what made me different just so I could feel like I fit in for just a bit. I was floored, I truly had no idea that the way I saw the world around me or how I interacted with that world was how others also wanted to interact with it. It was such a revelation and a welcome one at that.
Yes, I know this is long winded...but my point is, you deserve to be appreciated for who you are, not because you worked hard or you didnt work hard, but because you are you.

Diane Walker said...

Thanks, Maureen; love the way those letters continue to speak to us...

... and Cheryl, I think you just wrote my autobiography! And, yes, I know; but knowing and feeling it in your heart are not quite the same thing -- which is kind of what I was trying to say. I'm pretty sure these posts are sounding this vulnerable because I'm not quite myself this week; tore a muscle coughing a week ago and am still on pain meds. Thank you SO MUCH for these kind and thoughtful words!
D

Cheryl said...

Yeah, I know...feeling and knowing are two very different things. Dip your toe in the water just once, and each time you come back to that feeling, you'll find yourself dipping a little bit more in until your heart believes what your mind says.