Sunday, March 10, 2013

Becoming what we see

This image is a digital collage of four different photos -- a storefront in Capri, a statue in Fort Worth, a curious decoupage bust found in our Fort Worth Hotel, and another  sort of impressionist piece I created last year. 

I suspect it emerged in response to all the postings on Facebook about International Women's Day (Friday, March 8th) and the Violence Against Women Act. Which is to say -- whatever we allow to pass before our eyes leaves a trace; a seed, even, that, left to its own, will sprout in dreams, or in creativity...

My husband, I suspect, always thought I was foolish to monitor my children's television watching so closely.  We actually abandoned the television for several years during their childhood, and I've never regretted that -- partly because they learned, during those years, to entertain themselves.  But mostly because I still believe the violence we watch on TV can't help but influence us.  Perhaps it is the role of the artist to show us how deeply what we see can influence who we are, how we feel, and who our children become?

No comments: