Thursday, February 9, 2012

A little peace and calm

Last night I gave a talk to our local camera club about my artistic adventures in the world of photography.  One of the slides in my powerpoint deck showed the sorts of images I used to do, and one displayed more contemporary images.

So that was in my head this morning when I found myself with a half hour to spend between physical therapy and my weekly Thursday morning coffee date.  It was raining lightly, but I had brought my camera into town with me, just in case, so I headed down to the Waterfront Park shared dock -- where I've taken MANY MANY pictures over the ten years I've lived on this island.

I was partly doing that to kill time.  But partly, also, because I've been so frustrated trying to explore and tackle something new.  I thought perhaps if I went back to the familiar it would at least feed my soul (being around the waterfront always does that).  And I had learned, developing the presentation, that all my work seems to feed on what went before: maybe I needed to stop advancing and just retreat for a while.

This is one of the results.  Is it informed in any way by the time that has elapsed since I last shot boats at the waterfront?  I don't think so.  But it IS a lovely calm photo.  Perhaps that's all I need right now; a little peace and calm...

1 comment:

Maureen said...

This is a lovely image. I like the chalkiness of the white paint and how it holds its own against the blue and grey, and also the way the sinuous rope breaks the harder angle. There's a nice play of curves and angles overall.