Thursday, April 14, 2011

Enough

There was a wonderfully optimistic book that came out in the late 80's, entitled "Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow." 

I haven't actually seen signs that that's true for me, though I do know a few people who have found a lot of joy -- and enough money to live on -- by stepping off the treadmill of "normal" jobs.

But I am definitely doing what I love -- having enormous fun exploring a new art medium and writing poetry -- and, though money is tight, we have enough to live on for a while, so I suppose you could say it's coming true...

Maybe what really happens is this: when you're doing what you love, the money doesn't matter quite as much?  It would be lovely to have the affirmation money can bring; the sense that "I must be on the right track because people are willing to pay me to do this!"

But really -- when you're doing what you love, that external affirmation loses some of its impact.  Does this help all the people I know who have incredible gifts in the spiritual arena, but due to divorce and the current economy are barely scraping by?  No, not really -- it would be incredibly helpful if society rewarded spiritual directors and clergy and artists and church secretaries as lavishly as it rewards corporate executives.  It would be even MORE helpful if our current congress weren't so determined to add to the rewards of those who already have more than they need at the expense of those who are struggling.

But humans who are in positions of power have always done this; always leapt to the assumption that they have what they have because they have earned and deserve it.  And people of faith who struggle monetarily have probably always wondered why God isn't quicker to reward their faithfulness. 

I don't have answers to any of that.  I only know that I'm doing what I love, and I'm loving what I'm doing.  And the joy that brings -- for now, at least -- is enough.

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Louise's post today has a similar theme.

I love what I'm doing now, and Joyce, too.

Gberger said...

Amen...working on the same thing here. xoxoxo

Kimberly Mason said...

I just sat with this image and the image with the poem for a little while this morning. There is peace in the frame, and the colors -- I just want to dive in and wallow in them.
So lovely!