Sunday, March 20, 2011

Changes, changes...

I came downstairs early yesterday morning to find the supermoon beaming through my living room window; quite lovely.  It was there again this morning, though partially hidden behind the trees.  It didn't capture my attention quite as much, however, as the discovery that we had a high tide, a low barometer, and a strong north wind -- a particularly challenging configuration for our beach.

I'd slept through the worst of it, but even an hour later the waves were crashing over the logs.  Normally I ignore the fact that my camera can actually take videos, but this morning I decided to shoot the effects of the wind and waves, just to see if I could. 

The results were not all that arresting,  but I spent the rest of the morning teaching myself how to edit video and pair it with a poem; fun!  It does mean that most of the insights I might have gained, either from today's sermon or my readings, have dissipated; they only appear briefly in the poem you see at right.  Today, I believe, as we deepen our journey into Lent, is about change; about what might be lost or gained when fate subjects us to the change we never quite seem capable of choosing for ourselves.

I'm particularly conscious of this today, as the transitions in our household have speeded up considerably in the last week: in a very short period of time my daughter has changed her primary relationship, found a job, and found an apartment; she and her former boyfriend (now simply her best friend) will be moving out within the week to their new digs in Seattle.  I'm thrilled, and sad, and curious, all at the same time; wondering how she will deal with all these seismic shifts in her life; wondering, too, what changes they herald for those of us who are left behind...  Time will tell!

4 comments:

Maureen said...

I'll look forward to seeing a videopoem from you.

The moon's light seems to part the water, letting us look into strong white space holding the unknown.

Louise Gallagher said...

Ah changes. I just finished a poem about Lenten Changes -- and I too await your videopoem. How exciting! And yes, scary too. Like the moon on the water. Step into its beam and lose yourself in the thrall of the tide pulling you out into open waters...

Gberger said...

I LOVED seeing you yesterday; thank you so much for taking time out of a sunny Saturday to come to the unveiling. Let's meet for coffee one day soon. xoxox

Diane Walker said...

Well -- I certainly can't claim to be a stellar videographer! But the poem is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOg0IW8Y0Ws

And you can just watch the walk out to the beach (taken slightly later when there was more light and the tide was lower) here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o27uqFlevJA (that rumbling noise is the wind)