Saturday, November 13, 2010

Bloom in the moment

The wildflower saints provoke me to remember the steadiness of return, year after year. They tell me that one does not need to be cultivated to be beautiful."
-- Gunilla Norris, quoted in 365 Nirvana

Some days -- I don't know about you -- but that's a sentiment I really need to hear: a gentle reminder that I only need to be who I am; that I don't need to get (as my mother used to say) "all gussied up," or perform in a particularly impressive way, or consciously seed people's awareness of me ...

I see this as an invitation to trust that the work we're doing, the person we're being is enough.  The gift lies in understanding that the missed opportunities and the plans that fall through, the unexpected machinations of people we thought were friends and our own unrealized hopes will all bear fruit in their own time and in their own ways; our job is just to release all of that and simply bloom in the moment.

9 comments:

Jan said...

Thank you. I really needed this quote today.

Jan said...

Your words touched me so much that I linked this post to my blog. Thank you.

altar ego said...

I try to do this, at least to "be" in the moment. Blooming is another matter. At the moment I'm really struggling with the reality that I disappoint people (in my work), and the disappointment tends to eclipse (in their eyes) any blooming that I may be doing. I get so few words or acknowledgments of the things that I am doing, yet it is so easy to be chastised for what I don't do. It really isn't acceptable to be human when you wear a collar.

Joyce Wycoff said...

"Simply bloom in the moment." How beautiful.

Louise Gallagher said...

Ah -- to bloom in the moment.

What a gift.

Thanks for thsi beautiful reminder.

OK -- and so the security word today is: nomments

Hmmmm.

Diane Walker said...

Hmm. Thanks for reminding me why I don't have a collar... I'm so sorry you're not feeling appreciated. _I_ appreciate you!

Kayce aka lucy said...

Your words are lovely and alter ego's break my heart!

Kay said...

Delightful, thoughtful words. I've been in a space that led me to step away from a group of people and now I'm feeling more able to be in the moment. Dare I dream of blooming in a day or so? I'll just wait and see what happens.

Altar ego - I wish you some caring souls around you - to help you and encourage you as you model 'being human' - it is a hard job!

Kay

Blue Eyed Ennis said...

This is a "perfect picture " to illustrate the meaning of your words and essential in that imperfection that turns everything in this crazy way of the world upside down. God's ways not ours !!
Thanks
Blessings