Friday, October 1, 2010

Learning to notice

It was a glorious morning, so I took my camera with me on my walk today -- mostly because the last time I walked at sunrise there was so much I wanted to photograph!

Part of what I'm doing when I walk is retraining myself to walk with my head up, instead of looking at my feet.  Which means I'm noticing a lot more.  So when I read this poem in this afternoon's readings for my next course, I decided I really needed to share it here -- because it's all about the importance of noticing; of being present.

The range of what we think and do
is limited by what we fail to notice.
And because we fail to notice
that we fail to notice
there is little we can do
to change
until we notice
how failing to notice
shapes our thoughts and deeds.

RD Laing, Knots

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Our dawn wasn't quite this beautiful but the rain has stopped finally and we've got blue skies, plenty enough to make me sing. (No more rain predicted until at least Tuesday.)

Have a wonderful weekend.