Tuesday, September 14, 2010

When your body has a mind of its own

Here's another view of my friends' farm in Vermont, taken when we visited last September.  I'm looking forward to the peacefulness of this place -- especially at the moment, as I'm dealing with my usual pre-flight jitters.

It always makes me wonder: how strong can my faith be, if I get so anxious before traveling?  I've walked, I've meditated, and still I can feel my shoulders curling up around my ears, and my stomach clenching unnecessarily.  What's that about?

I'm thinking it has something to do with the traveling we did when the kids were little; when there were so many extra things to carry and keep track of, and back when my back was still pretty weak and it would take me days to recuperate from all the extra lifting and those uncomfortable plane seats -- it's as if my body was imprinted on negativity, and I can't seem to retrain it. 

We talked a lot about that in class yesterday -- about the messages the body sends that have very little to do with what we're saying, or think we're feeling.  We had a guest instructor who suggested we spend time watching television with the volume off, to get more practiced at reading other people's body language -- he even said, with a bit of a laugh, that he rarely listens to what people say these days, as their bodies speak much more clearly.

And then we got to practice, doing role play of various situations we might encounter, and then giving each other feedback on the body language we observed: which was fascinating, and very educational.  We agreed, also, that by shifting patterns in our bodies we could shift feelings and attitudes.  So perhaps I can conquer my jitters by straightening up, breathing deeply, and visualizing the relaxation that awaits me only a day's travel away.

Hmm.  Guess I'll keep working on it...

2 comments:

Gberger said...

I don't know "what that's about," for you, but fear seems to accompany flying for a lot of people.
I think, in my case, it's memory of news coverage of previous airplane horrors, and fear, due to lack of control. However, it could just be plain old fear of death, and when I look at it that way, I realize that it's unlikely I'll die in a plane - but if it's going to happen, it's not a bad way to go. I can then recall that Katie is waiting for me, and then, I usually can let go, & get busy with a book or music, and gratitude that I get the privilege of travel.
I hope you have a wonderful, peaceful trip.

Laurie said...

Did it work?