Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Welcoming the light

Re-entry after a vacation, even a working vacation (which this one was; I spent most of my time writing papers and preparing photos for various projects that rolled into my inbox while I was away), is always challenging, and this one has been no exception to the rule.

But mixed in with the time change and the to-do list and the week's worth of catching up and the three-birthdays-in-a-row that start today have been some gifts: Cynthia Bourgeault's new book on Mary Magdalene arrived in the mail while I was gone (hurray!) and this was the sunrise that greeted my sleep-deprived eyes when I staggered into my bathroom this morning.

It's amazing what a little light, and color, and inspiration can do to alleviate the challenges of daily life.  It's a bit of a reminder of our sacred duty as artists -- which Vasily Kandinsky describes this way:

"The duty of the artist is to send light into the darkness of men’s souls."  

I don't think we do that alone, of course; I prefer to think of myself as a channel through which light flows.  But mostly, this morning, I am grateful that light has that wonderful quality to illuminate -- and soften -- the darkness that can set in when we are feeling depressed or overwhelmed.  It really helps -- and I am happy to share.

     
                                                        

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Welcome back!

Beautiful image, and a perfect pairing with Kandinsky's word. You get to experience the most stunning skies where you live.

Gberger said...

I love that quote! Thank you for sharing your beautiful view with us.