Friday, August 27, 2010

When the hawk watches

This little hawk, who found his way to our deck the morning before I left for camp, greeted me again this morning when I went out for a meditative walk.

It's something I rarely do -- go out walking in the morning -- but for some reason this morning it felt like the right thing to do, so I decided to spend my meditation time walking instead of sitting, and chose to think of it as a way of supporting my dear friends and neighbors who are in Florida sitting vigil at their son's bedside (she does a meditation walk every day).

About halfway down the street, right where the mailboxes are clustered, I saw the hawk again, sitting on the phone wire, just watching.  So I moved very slowly and quietly, carefully not looking up at him,  and right when I got to the spot below his perch he flew away.

Oh, dear, I thought -- so often birds in my life have been indicators of souls moving on.  So I wasn't too surprised to come home and find a note announcing my neighbors' son had passed away this morning.  But my heart aches for them.

It's been a rough week on our street; three deaths, an emergency operation, and a cancer diagnosis.  And my husband's gone off to Portland to care for a friend who's developed some serious complications with a brain tumor.  At times like this we are all too aware of the fragility of human life -- of all life, really.  There's nothing we can do but hold all of it in our hearts with prayer -- and maybe stop to think: how would I be living differently now, if I knew this week were my last?  Who needs to hear "I love you" or "Thank you" or "I'm sorry I hurt you" today?

Walk quietly, dear friends: the hawk is watching.

5 comments:

Maureen said...

Thank you for this. Hugs.

Joyce Wycoff said...

Hawk found an excellent channel in you ... I'm sure you shared his message well. Thanks.

Louise Gallagher said...

thank you. these are the exact words I needed to hear today.

Who needs to hear, "I love you" or "Thank you" or "I'm sorry I hurt you."

Thank you.

Kimberly Mason said...

Ugh. Between you and Nancy, blogging near Philadelpia, I have been scolded and scolded well.

Diane Walker said...

Don't think of it as scolding, sweetie -- think of it as an opportunity...