Tuesday, July 20, 2010

When you raise the shades...

Sometimes I play bridge with my neighbors on Monday evenings, so last evening we found ourselves gathered around a card table in my living room. The doors were open, the dogs were socializing happily on the deck and the kids were playing on the beach, but because the living room faces west, we had the shades down to block the heat and the light a bit.

As soon as the sun dropped below the mountains though, we pulled the shades back up again, to be greeted by this magnificent sunset. Though I was NOT the dummy, I left the table for my camera; just couldn't resist the beautiful scene before me.

I wonder how often that happens; that we pull the shades on some part of our lives because the heat and light are just too intense, and then we miss something unbearably beautiful as a result.

Hmmm. I'm just askin...

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Gorgeous sunset!

I keep the shades up in our house, except for our bedroom. Most of our windows have no curtains either.

Joyce Wycoff said...

Whoa! What a moment ... and, you're right ... how many of those do we miss?!