Friday, July 30, 2010

I break for fog

I ADORE shooting in fog, and fog is actually pretty rare on our little island.  So when I woke up this morning and looked out the bathroom window at a solid wall of pale grey, I abandoned my normal routines, grabbed my camera, and headed for Waterfront Park to shoot what turned out to be almost 250 pictures...  it was amazing.

This isn't necessarily a representative sample; it's a photo of our neighbor's dock, taken on the way back from my morning's activities.  But I love the way the crow stepped in at the last minute...

And of course -- since I just threw on my clothes and jumped in the car -- I forgot my cellphone (again).  So even though I returned with a 20 ounce cup of his favorite coffee, my husband still needed to point out that I'd forgotten to take the phone: turns out we have house guests arriving around noon, so he thought he'd better cancel his lunch date and oh-by-the-way we might need to do a little cleaning up?

Though the fog is lifting now at the park, it's still pretty thick at our end of the island, and part of me is itching to spend more time out there with my camera.  But guests come first -- especially the really special ones; the ones who were in our wedding, and came all the way from Vermont to visit a brother-in-law who just HAPPENS to live across the water from us.

So the kitchen, bedroom and bathroom are tidier now, but I really really need to shower and change, so I'll just leave you with this thought: some days it's okay to skip meditation practice!  Walking the docks, breathing the faintly salty damp air, feasting on the rich colors of the flowers and boats at the water's edge -- it all feeds my soul, and serves as a wonderful restorative in preparation for what looks like it might be an eventful day.

If you're feeling a bit fogged in yourself this morning, I hope it lifts by afternoon (as hopefully it will here) and you have a chance to enjoy the beautiful day.

It's all good!

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Have a great weekend.

Journey Girl Talking said...

You wrote: "some days it's okay to skip meditation practice!"

The older/wiser I get, the more I realize sometimes meditation comes in the form of doing the things that feed our souls.

Love the photo and all the contemplation that comes with it!
blessings