Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Not struggling alone

I've decided to try an experiment: for the next week, instead of doing meditation in the style of Centering Prayer, I will do a Buddhist-style lovingkindness meditation. Starting with the phrase "May I be joyful, peaceful, loving and kind," I will then begin visualizing others and saying "May YOU be joyful, peaceful, loving and kind," and then move to ALL humans and eventually to all BEINGS.

I knew when I sat down this morning that I wanted to do this. But I didn't quite know how best to make the phrase flow for me, so most of my meditation time was spent juggling and considering: do I want peaceful, gentle, loving and happy? Loving, gentle, joyful and calm? For some reason it matters how the words flow, and which words come on which breath -- the in breath, or the out breath...

Eventually I decided upon a pattern that seemed to flow for me -- for today, at least -- and settled in. And the good news is this: that even though the mantra doesn't completely still the monkey mind, it does seem to quickly take on a life of its own, and it does seem to have a sort of radiant quality: which is what I'm looking for, for now.

With all the changes going on in our lives, and all the decisions and activity taking place (by the way, my acceptance from Antioch's Center for Creative Change arrived yesterday -- Woo-Hoo!) I think I'm going to need to get a lot more conscious about cultivating and radiating peace, joy, love and kindness. My hope is that I can get in the habit of chanting it in my head in times of stress, when dealing with others, in traffic... whenever I need to be reminded that we are all one, and I am not struggling alone.

This new torso, which I created this morning (after two failed attempts yesterday) looks to me like she's carrying the world on her shoulders. If that's how you're feeling today, too -- well then, I wish you a ton of blessings, strong shoulders, and, yes -- peace, love, joy and kindness. And remember: you're not carrying those burdens alone.

Hmm. Now I like the sound of Loving, Gentle, Joyful and Calm.

We'll see...

7 comments:

Maureen said...

Congratulations, Diane. I'm so happy for you.

Gberger said...

Congratulations and love! XOXO

Kimberly Mason said...

Yay! Congratulations!!!!

I've been a big fan of "gentle and kind and loving" lately...just recently added the gentle, not sure why that came up.

Anyway, congratulations!!! Of COURSE you are accepted! :D

altar ego said...

I have a lot of catching up to do after being gone for a couple of weeks, but let me add my congratulations!

I am in serious need of peace, love, joy and kindness--both in my heart to experience and then grounded there to radiate outward. I've been feeling much too closed in, too vulnerable, too, too. So thankful for blessings by the tonage and the prayers that will seep forth as you shift the means by which you connect to the world through prayer.

blessings back.

Louise Gallagher said...

How absolutely fantastic Diane! Congratulations.

and as to the gentle.... It must be in the air. Yesteday I changed my contract, which has been, I am a fearless woman -- for 4 yrs. to...

I am a gentle woman. -- it is what I need to be to have what I want more of in my life -- joy, tranquility, love and grace.

Diane Walker said...

I love the sound of that - joy, tranquility, love and grace... delicious!

Diane Walker said...

And PS to all of you: It's you, my blogsisters, who are the YOU in the second stage of my mantra. I wish you each joy, peace, love, kindness, tranquility, gentleness and calm -- and thank you all for continuing to walk with me on this journey.

Love,
Diane