Sunday, January 31, 2010

On breathing and space

"Even a stone...could show you the way back to God, to the Source, to yourself. When you look at it or hold it and let it be without imposing a word or mental label on it, a sense of awe, of wonder, arises within you. Its essence silently communicates itself to you and reflects your own essence back to you."
-- Eckhart Tolle, Oneness With All Life

Fueled by my experience with the spirit doll the day before, I spent much of yesterday restoring energy to the little office (which used to be my laundry room) where my computer now lives. I put on some wonderful flute music (Desert Spirit), lit some incense (something I rarely do), and spent my time clearing surfaces, putting things away, and arranging what are essentially sacred objects around the space. And breathing: breathing new life into the space, and allowing it to breathe new life into me.

I found a little metallic bag, given me long ago in some circumstance I no longer remember, with a stack of sayings in it. The one I pulled from the stack said "Make Music," and since, in the cleaning, a number of recorders appeared, given to me over 20 years ago, I took the one whose range was closest to the music and played along with the CD, allowing the notes to breathe through me. I loved the vibration of that; it's been a long time since I felt that.

I'm nearing the end of Tolle's book now, and he's been talking a lot about space -- the space within me, but also the space within all things -- even a stone. "That 'empty space'," says Tolle, "is life in its fullness, the unmanifested Source out of which all manifestation flows. The traditional word for that Source is God." So I'm -- and actually, I suppose this flows out of the intention from last week, about stopping to breathe during the day -- attempting, when I stop to breathe, to feel the space inside me, and inside the things around me. I think of all the cells in me, and in the oak desk below my keyboard, and of the space inside those cells echoing with the presence of Holiness.

And when I do that, it feels like I'm breathing pure oxygen, scented with salt and pine; the oxygen I find when I am on my favorite island, in this space pictured here.

It was lovely; one of those rare times when doing and being coincide. I'm hoping I can carry that coincidence into other parts of my life.

And isn't that cool; that the root word for those coincidences, which we all love, is "coincide," as in doing and being coinciding?

Hmmm.

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Love reflection for a Sunday. Such a peaceful image, too.

Joyce Wycoff said...

Oh, Diane ... you have inspired me to play with my space today! With music, with candles, with joy!

And, playing with words, coincide took me to co-inside ... being together inside ... being part of the great Inside ... partnering within the great Inside...

it almost gives me chills. Thanks, my friend.

Dianna Woolley said...

"Even a stone...could show you the way back to God, to the Source, to yourself." - what a beautiful thought and for me a true one. I think it's why so many of us marvel and purposefully or inadvertently "gather" stones, shells, sea glass - it's a feeling of blessing and discovery and what better way to reach the source than reveling in tiny bits of creation.