Monday, January 25, 2010

A Challenge for Haiti

I found this marvelous image by Haitian artist Dieuseul Paul on the Artworks for Haiti website, and display it here today as a way of announcing my Challenge for Haiti.

I've been very impressed with the work being done by Partners for Health in Haiti (see Tracy Kidder's wonderful piece on that here) and so I have decided, inspired by my blogger buddy Maureen at Writing without Paper, to donate $1 to Partners in Health for every comment posted to today's poem on my poetry blog.

My donation goal is $100. That means I will donate $1.00 for every posted comment up to a maximum of 100 comments. Well, maybe I'll stretch that a little... let's see what happens!

If you're worried about visiting a poetry blog, because you're not that into poetry, well - don't be. It's a short poem, and shouldn't be too painful. It's based on prompts from two different sources: Carry on Tuesday and the One Word at a Time Blog Carnival. Today’s Carnival prompt is the word PEACE, and today’s prompt from Carry On is a quote from the 18th century artist Sir Joshua Reynolds:

“A room hung with pictures is a room hung with thoughts”

So I played with both those ideas, and they took me down an interesting path. Click here, or on the "Today's Poem" image at left, to see where they led me... Or you can donate directly to Partners in Health by clicking on the link below:

Stand With Haiti

Thanks for joining me in the challenge -- and tell your friends to drop by!

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Oh, I so like Haitian art. This is a marvelous piece. I listed Artworks for Haiti in my All Art Friday feature last week.

The images I've posted the Vassar Haiti Project shared with me.

I also agree with you about Partners. I remember reading Kidder's book and thinking what an incredible person Farmer is.

Thanks again for participating.