Saturday, April 4, 2009

When up on the roof there arose such a clatter...

...that I sprang from my desk to see what was the matter!
And what to my wondering eyes should appear...

This morning I noticed a lovely fog dancing across the surface of the lagoon and went out to take a picture. It wasn't all that photogenic, but the sunrise was, so I turned to photograph the sunrise just as a seagull flew into the image, and I got this perfect shot.

But this post is not about the perfect shot, but the one that got away.
Because while I was taking this picture, I heard a huge clatter, and turned to see two eagles who had apparently been battling -- or perhaps mating -- in mid-air and had gotten tangled up and plummeted onto the roof of this lovely boathouse.

I wasn't quick enough to photograph them on the roof -- I turned just as they were sliding off into the water. One of them managed to extricate herself before she hit the water; I got this (very bad) shot of her sitting on the ladder of the boathouse watching the other eagle trying to extricate himself from the water (have you ever watched an eagle try to swim?). So I got another shot of the waterlogged eagle sitting somewhat bemused and bedraggled on the bank after crawling out.


End of story -- or so I thought. 2 hours later I heard another huge crash and banging, and thought perhaps the eagles were now battling it out on my roof. But the dog started barking and wouldn't stop, so eventually I went out into the living room to see what was up. It still wasn't obvious, but he was staring fixedly at a point just beyond our boardwalk so I stood next to him to see what he was focused on and couldn't believe my eyes: the boathouse had just completely collapsed into the water!

I called a neighbor, but she hadn't seen it happen (though she'd heard it) and we decided to call 911, as we didn't know who owned the boathouse. Boats --and tides -- enter the lagoon through a fairly narrow channel which flows right by the boathouse, so if it were to float loose from its moorings it could effectively seal off the channel. So the police came by to investigate, and I showed them the before and after pictures. Pretty funny -- I heard the dispatcher ask the policeman over his walkie-talkie if he had gotten the license numbers of the marauding eagles! My policeman assured him that if he caught the perpetrators he'd be sure to haul them in...

I tried tracking down the boathouse through Google maps with no luck, but found what might be the owner by going to Zillow, the real estate site and called the agent who is listing what I think may be the house that owns the boathouse (the listing does say it has a boathouse, though there's no photo). Such fun to be a detective! And so I've done my best to notify the owner.

Like the song says -- My Lord, what a morning!

3 comments:

Katherine W. said...

DOOD Let me reiterate how awesome this is

And add that Martin freaked out at how awesome it is too =D So much for that poor house! Bet the price is going to go down- but maybe then, someone somewhere will be more willing to buy it =)

altar ego said...

What a treat of a morning you had (love the picture of the sunrise)! Who knew that the power of "love" (if we go with that angel) could bring down a boathouse! It's a great story for the telling, and as I know several people with boathouses (river), they will get a kick out of this.

One of my flock who tells the story of dressing up in a military-style gillie suit to lie in wait for an egret who likes his boathouse a bit too much. Rather than scare off the egret the egret came at Lee, he fell backwards and the egret landed on Lee's chest and began pecking at him--hard!

Diane Walker said...

Oh, dear! Sounds like a variation on my attempts to keep my cat from sitting on top of the fish bowl! (Katherine, that is Alex's latest trick -- he loves to sit on that nice flat plastic top over YOUR fish so he can pull the lids off of ALI's fish)!