Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Drawn to St. Francis

For some reason I have always been drawn to statues of St. Francis. Perhaps it is because my mom had one in her garden in Texas, or maybe it's because I learned to sing the prayer of St. Francis back in 3rd grade, and have always been guided by its principles.

But I suspect it is nothing so obvious or noble as that: it's probably just the tenderness of these statues -- the austerity of the monk in his robes, the sweetness of his expression for the tiny bird that rests in his hand or on his shoulder.

And what I have just realized this morning is that in two weeks I will actually be in Assisi! This is the part of the trip that someone else planned, so I haven't paid much attention to where it will take us, other than to make sure it includes Venice! So it was a delight to discover -- though I knew that I'd be bringing back lots of photos of statues -- that I'd actually be going to the motherlode of St. Francis.

A few months back I fell in love with a handcarved and painted wooden statue of Francis from Mexico. (You need to understand -- I don't actually OWN any St. Francis statues) and I seriously thought of buying it. But something kept stopping me, even though his glass eyes seemed to follow me around the store. I assumed at the time that it was just a reluctance to spend the money (it was pretty pricey, like much of what you find in the stores on our island).

Now I wonder if the connection wasn't about the statue at all, but rather just to raise awareness. Because I went home and discovered I'd been collecting St. Francis photos since the first year I began photographing professionally. Hmmm. Looks like there will be more of those images in my future: what fun!

... and since I was just discussing this with someone who loves St. Francis but couldn't remember his wonderful prayer, here it is (thank you, Wikipedia!)

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.

No comments: